Monday, April 30, 2012

The Revenge of Murray the Mantis

One of my favorite episodes of The Real Ghostbusters is "The Revenge of Murray the Mantis."

Murray the Mantis is a popular Saturday morning cartoon character in the Ghostbusters universe with his own balloon in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. The crew responsible for the balloon inflates it the night before in a warehouse that was once the city morgue. It becomes possessed by the dead on Thanksgiving morning and goes on a rampage through New York City, kaiju-style.

When the Ghostbusters can't stop it on their own, they release the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from the Ecto-Containment Unit to fight him.


After an epic slugfest, Stay-Puft grips Murray's spiked forearms and holds him in place so that the Ghostbusters can blast him with their proton packs. So that's what's going on in the picture below. Stay-Puft and Murray are not, as my boss believed, dancing.



This is another post in the "stuff on my desk" series. The part of Murray the Mantis is played by Kamacuras, resident of Monster Island and co-star of numerous Godzilla movies.

You can watch the episode on YouTube:


While we're on the topic of Ghostbusters, here's stuff on my desk from a different shelf:


I couldn't find a Kamacuras big enough to fight this particular Stay-Puft action figure, so I added the Stay-Puft Minimate to my gashapon collection instead (see below). Normally I'm not a big fan of Minimates, but I find that some of their "nonhuman" characters like Stay-Puft look okay.

Part of my gashapon collection.

You'll notice a Cthulhu-like creature lurking behind the Empire State Building. That's actually Yasheth of the Lords of Cthul, a Monsterpocalypse game piece (as are the buildings around him). 

 So the part of Cthulhu is being played by Yasheth, which brings me to my other favorite Real Ghostbusters episode, the oddly-spelled "Collect Call of Cathulhu."

The Necronomicon has been stolen from the library, the Stars Are Right, Venkman is hitting on a professor from Miskatonic University, and a bunch of cultists are chanting "Cthulhu fhtagn!" You know what that means.

Great quotes include Venkman's "Anything that looks like Godzilla wearing an octopus hat shouldn't be hard to find," and Egon's "Cathulhu makes Gozer look like 'Little Mary Sunshine'."

This episode is also on YouTube:


No comments:

Post a Comment