Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Zombies and Saturday Morning TV

Stumbled upon another Myron Fass publication in my collection... the Winter 1978 issue of Star Battles:
Superman: "Why are you shooting me in the back? Look! Up in the sky! Cylons! Shoot THEM!"
So naturally, that means more articles by (drum roll, please...) Tom Rogers!

In The Living Dead Return: George Romero Strikes Again, he covers Night of the Living Dead, The Crazies, Martin, and the then-upcoming Dawn of the Dead. I particularly like how, after denigrating the quality of Night of the Living Dead (by my count) four times in four paragraphs, he writes, "This is really a fine horror film, and this synopsis does not do it justice." Indeed!




In Saturday Morning Live Action, he covers a number of programs I remember fondly from my '70s childhood, though for some reason he decides to do so in alphabetical order, resulting in the discussion of some spin-offs before the original shows that spawned them.





This article is a good example of just how weird the '70s were, sometimes to the point of disbelief. Back in the '90s, before the advent of YouTube, it literally took me YEARS to convince one of my roommates that I hadn't made up The Lost Saucer, starring Jim Nabors and Ruth Buzzi as spacefaring androids with a pet Dorse. I don't think even the IMDb listing was enough to overcome his level of denial. Of course, when dealing with television of this calibre, that's a useful defense mechanism to have -- the same sort that allows Lovecraft characters to investigate Cthulhu while retaining their last vestige of sanity.

Monster Squad, Bigfoot and Wildboy, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Isis and Shazam! -- I'm beginning to get a clearer image of what went wrong with my formative years.

No comments:

Post a Comment